It all started when I forgot to put down the kickstand.  We all do it once every few years, and it was my time. Rode into the garage, turned off the ignition and was certainly thinking about something else. I turned the handlebars to the left, lifted my left leg to put the bike on the kickstand, and started to get off, as the bike just kept on laying over in slow motion.

We all havel had that feeling. Certainly no damage as it just layed over easy on the carpet.  Layed there for about 2 hrs until my son helped pick it up. 

Gas ran out of carb until I turned off the gas, and float bowl emptied.

Now, as I ride it, the engine will pop and backfire like it injested a June bug, until the revs are higher, and am in second or third gear.  Coming to a stop, it starves for gas and stalls. Starts right up. Intermittant problem. Top end runs fine, and will idle fine. Problem now only exists accelerating from 1st.

Removed Mikuni 42 Carb, cleaned completely, and made no adjustments or changes. Replaced gas, and made sure petcock and filter is clean. Same problem.

Any ideas where to look next?

2001 FLHT 1450

Mikuni 42

Stock exhaust

Thanks,

Bruce

Be the first person like this
Be the first person to like this.
Tiger Mann

maybe take cover off the stator see if some crap got up in it...tips & stuff can be foun on youtube....Tiger Mann

,  reacted this
1 person likes this.
,  reacted this
Bruce DeVore

Thanks

Tim Reed

Saw this articcle in a forum. Mentions electrical. maybe a wire was damaged when it fell? https://advrider.com/f/threads/88-r100rs-high-speed-miss.443964/

,  reacted this
1 person likes this.
,  reacted this
Tiger Mann

That's what I was thinking....losse wire , crap from over time that would normaly be laying on the bottom of the stator housing get tossed up out of the bottom ect

Tiger Mann

When you figure it out Bruce let us know what it was please ,,,, :)

Bruce DeVore

I spent another day going thru the carb again, paying particular to the low speed jet. Wound up replacing intake gaskets as long as I was there. Took it for a short ride this morning, and all seem well.
Will give a full report later.
Speleo

5 users reacted this
5 people like this.
5 users reacted this